Food and Beverage as a Medicine for Gut Health

80% of consumers have adoped "food as a medicine". Nearly one in four consumers say gut health is the most important aspect of their overall health. This has given rise to:
"Food and Beverage as a Medicine for Gut Health!".

https://fooddistributionguy.com/food-and-beverage-as-a-medicine-for-gut-health/

2 Likes

We do! We upcycle both spent grains and spent coffee grounds. We are also looking at bringing byproducts from other processes in as well

1 Like

You mean from other processes in the brewery? They might have some brewing yeast that could be desiccated, but you'll have to ask your suppliers.

Current reports have it, 70% of a person's immunology is in the gut.

I learned so much about this when we were doing research for our company. Fibre and prebiotics are so underrated and forgotten about as consumers are so focused on protein and probiotics. This is where the health benefits of upcycled spent grain and spent coffee shine for both their high antioxidant values and prebiotic content.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jafc.7b02302

1 Like

I come from the brewing industry. I see you're using spent grains.

Hello Richard,

this is a trend of interest to us. Our second Innovation Booster call, taking place this summer will focus on submissions related to Personalized Nutrition and Improving Human Health Through Food. We have already seen several interesting submissions across our other programs/submission intakes related to things like:

  • deploying new digital technologies to improve human health
  • novel ingredients or products focused at boosting human health

nothing on the microbiome yet, but I'd love to see some!

2 Likes

Very interesting. I'm starting a company that does that.