Synergia Biotech's team, led by @Angela Kouris, has made a major breakthrough: their natural pigment can now be produced using spirulina (an organism already approved for food & beverage applications worldwide). This unlocks faster timelines to commercialization and new opportunities for clean, sustainable ingredients.
As they move forward, Angela is looking for food safety / regulatory consultants (facility, process, and product compliance) to support the next stage of growth.
If you've worked with trusted firms or consultants in this space, please share your recommendations.
If on the West coast, highly recommend @Helen Xie, Passionate Food Safety Consultants. She has provided many GAP Assessments, Audit Supports (BRC, SQF, Costco), HACCP training, Gluten Free certifications. Most recently helped a BC chocolate company attain an impressive 90% SQF score on their brand new facility - working with them from the ground up – from site selection to facility construction, documentation, training, and finally the SQF audit itself!
Not affiliated just a big fan for the work Helen continues to push for our industry ;)
Ensuring Seamless Compliance, Certification, and Export Success Through Long-Term Partnership. With deep knowledge of Canadian and international food regulations, I serve as your trusted advisor-empowering food businesses to navigate complex compliance, optimize import/export processes, and achieve sustainable growth.
Since regulatory consulting was mentioned, I'd like to briefly introduce myself. I am the founder of Texave International, launched earlier this year. My career in the food industry began at Mérieux Nutrisciences, where I managed microbiology operations and quality, building a strong foundation in regulatory compliance.
With over 16 years of experience in microbiology, I now help clients maintain compliance, meet regulatory standards, and expand into international markets, particularly in Asia. At Texave, I also work with a skilled team of consultants to support client growth.
I look forward to connecting with peers in this field and supporting others.
Congratulations on your team's breakthrough, Angela!
I help scaling food businesses build and implement audit-ready food safety programs that cover facility compliance, process controls, and product requirements. I also enjoy becoming a long-term resource to the teams I support.
If you'd like to explore how I can support your team, I would be happy to set up a quick introductory call. You can reach me at lisa@shelfready.ca.
Thanks for posting Hubba. Love to see so many food safety consultants who help our food manufacturers with their food safety programs.
In my work as a food safety consultant, I've found that supporting companies through facility, process, and product compliance goes beyond "ticking boxes." While supporting our clients with food safety programs, it's really about helping teams understand the how and the why behind regulations, so compliance becomes part of growth rather than a barrier.
Best of luck finding the right consultant for your food operations, Angela.
We at CFL provide this type of services and will be happy to assist you. To give you a bit of background information we have worked with food manufacturers to build quality systems aligned with GFSI schemes like BRCGS and SQF, helping them prepare for internal and third-party audits. Our experience also includes supporting a wide range of certifications-Kosher, Halal, Non-GMO, Vegan, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, and Organic. Plus, we are familiar with both U.S. and Canadian labeling regulations, so we can help ensure your products meet market-specific requirements.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at julien@cultivatedfoodlabs.com and we can arrange a quick call. We are based in Burnaby, BC.
This is exactly the kind of work we love to do, and supporting a scaling company like yours is where we add the most value. I'd be happy to set up a call. No hard sales, I promise, just a conversation to hear where you are now and explore how we might support where you want to go. You can find me at: maureen@navigatefoodsafety.com
There's a great webinar put on by CIFST coming up!
Speaker: Andrew Parshad, Quality Smart Solutions
FDA & Health Canada: Compliance Essentials for Innovative Foods and Ingredients
Novel food biotechnology has seen annual global growth of 10% with growth drivers such as nutrient enhancement, shelf life extension and improving food security-coupled with innovation in genetic modified crops, microbial biotechnology and alternative proteins. Key drivers have been health-conscious consumers, sustainability goals and technological breakthroughs.
The landscape for innovative food and health ingredients is evolving rapidly, and navigating the regulatory requirements in the U.S. and Canada has never been more critical. This session provides a comprehensive overview of how novel foods and functional health ingredients are assessed, approved, and monitored underFDAandHealth Canadaframeworks.
Participants will gain a clear understanding of:
Regulatory definitionsof novel foods and health ingredients in both jurisdictions
FDA pathwayssuch as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) notifications, food additive petitions, and dietary ingredient requirements
Health Canada's novel food process, including safety assessments, compositional data
Pre-market submission requirements, timelines, and supporting scientific evidence needed for approval
Key compliance considerations post-market, including labeling, claims substantiation, and ingredient change notifications
Whether you are a food manufacturer, ingredient supplier, or regulatory affairs professional, this session will equip you with practical strategies to streamline submissions, anticipate regulator questions, and ensure your innovative products reach the North American market compliantly and efficiently.
CIFST Knowledge Bites Webinar: FDA & Health Canada: Compliance Essentials for Innovative Foods and Ingredients
FDA & Health Canada: Compliance Essentials for Innovative Foods and Ingredients Novel food biotechnology has seen annual global growth of 10% with growth drivers such as nutrient enhancement, shelf life extension and improving food security-coupled with innovation in genetic modified crops, microbial biotechnology and alternative proteins.
We run a beverage co-packing facility in Atlantic Canada.
Navigate Food Safety has been our consultant for years. Beyond the fundamentals which they know well, they built trust with our production team and are now a go-to guide that our team regularly engages with.
Congrats Synergia Biotech on your sustainable product breakthrough! While we're not consultants, we act as food safety partners to help clients find the best microbial monitoring solutions. I'm thinking our high-sensitivity rapid ATP test (for total adenylates) may be of interest to compliment your existing sanitation validation program, as you scale production. Happy to connect if that could support your next stage. Food Safety & Hygiene Monitoring Solutions - LuminUltra
Thanks Lavina. Indeed that looks like an interesting seminar however our product is not a novel food ingredient and has already been approved globally for use in food and beverage. I am looking for help identifying how to ensure our facility is up to code for food production.