Cacao bean - establishing a Canadian-based supply chain

Hi everyone,

I'm a small bean-to-bar chocolate maker based in Edmonton, and I've recently been speaking with @Hubba Khatoon about alternative ways to source cacao beans outside of the U.S. Given the current circumstances, I believe it's time for us Canadian chocolate makers to work toward building a more independent and resilient supply chain within Canada.

Up to now, I've been sourcing cacao through U.S.-based brokers like Meridian Cacao and Uncommon Cacao, as they offer a wide variety of origins. However, I haven't found anything comparable here in Canada.

Are there any fellow chocolate makers or importers in this hub who have discovered viable alternatives or are working on solutions? I'd love to hear your experiences or insights.

Antoine! Apologies- we are in the throes of Mday and things are a little crazy (well crazier than ususal)

Confirming- you are looking for Canadian Cacao sourcing not through the US? I have a few sources that we use pretty regularly.

Send me a DM or email and I can further determine what your needs are.

e

Hello Antoine,

You might want to contact Quentin Ryckaert, the co-founder of Allo Simone here in Montréal.

Hello Antoine.

Suzie Yorke is launching a new product line, Chocolate Vitamins, and is proudly sourcing what she reckons are the best quality cacao beans from Peru. The other day on LinkedIn, she asked if anyone wanted space in her container. Here is her LinkedIn if you want to reach out to her: https://www.linkedin.com/in/suzie-yorke/recent-activity/all/ or I can introduce you.

Please let me know the annual volume and value of your procurement. If it is abve $150k per year, ERA can help you, too. However, our engagements are based on finding cost savings. We look at your suppliers, the terms and processes with those suppliers, and if we can implement savings for you, we take a cut of the savings and continue to manage that cost category, which could be all your ingredients and not just cacao beans, as a fractional procurement team over a contractual period.

Let me know how I can help you!

Hi Antoine — you raise a key point. At Wise Market, we are currently working on an AI-powered solution to build a more efficient and resilient global supply chain, including the real-time consolidation of the needs of several artisans like you.

I would be curious to better understand your specific cacao needs (quantity, origin, frequency) to see how we could include you in the initiative.

@Eva Choi from The Chocolate Lab Inc. what would be your experience?

I have a good link to get cocoa bean from Africa if you are interested. Let us connect 



On Wednesday, April 30, 2025, 3:26 PM, Antoine Lavoie via Canadian Food Innovation Network <Mail@cfin-rcia.ca> wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm a small bean-to-bar chocolate maker based in Edmonton, and I've recently been speaking with @Hubba Khatoon about alternative...
The YODL Digest

Open Forum

Post New Message
Cacao bean - establishing a Canadian-based supply chain
Reply to Group Reply to Sender
Antoine Lavoie
Apr 30, 2025 3:27 PM
Antoine Lavoie

Hi everyone,

I'm a small bean-to-bar chocolate maker based in Edmonton, and I've recently been speaking with @Hubba Khatoon about alternative ways to source cacao beans outside of the U.S. Given the current circumstances, I believe it's time for us Canadian chocolate makers to work toward building a more independent and resilient supply chain within Canada.

Up to now, I've been sourcing cacao through U.S.-based brokers like Meridian Cacao and Uncommon Cacao, as they offer a wide variety of origins. However, I haven't found anything comparable here in Canada.

Are there any fellow chocolate makers or importers in this hub who have discovered viable alternatives or are working on solutions? I'd love to hear your experiences or insights.

That would be lovely. Could you send me an email at delavoyechocolate@gmail.com?

Thank you! I will look on their linkedin. Much appreciated!

Hi Antoine,

If you're feeling the pressure of rising costs or tight supply, there's a smart workaround worth exploring. In my gluten-free product development projects, I've tested an ingredient that can replace up to 20% of cacao-without sacrificing taste, texture, or quality. It's a great way to stretch your supply and protect your margins. Let me know if you'd like the details.